Gosh… it’s been a minute, hasn’t it?
Those of you who follow me on Facebook (especially), Twitter, Instagram, or Tumblr — or are connected with me through my monthly newsletter — know I’ve been keeping extra-busy these last few months… and here’s the highlights:
Stories in two new anthologies, an uber-successful Kickstarter, and — because the universe desires balance — three sell-outs!
- TALES OF MR. RHEE Volume 2: “Karmageddon” concluded as a four-issue mini-series with much fanfare and several great reviews, and then went on to have an EXTREMELY (and I daresay RHEE-ly) successful Kickstarter campaign in conjunction with Devil’s Due Publishing for the limited edition hardcover collection, raising $19,264 dollars in 30 days! Who said horror comics are dead, eh? (And, again, THANK YOU to all of you who pledged!) As I type this we’re in the final stages of deciding what extras to put into the book, and then it’s off to the printer it goes — and then into the hands of all those who backed and on the shelves of finer comic book shelves everywhere!
- THEN IT WAS DARK is a superb anthology in which editor Sarah Benkin of Peppermint Monster Press
asked over two dozen writers if they ever had a paranormal experience… and if so, if they’d be willing to write about it in comic script form so she could then arrange for a comic artist to illustrate it. The final result is an amazingly chilling book filled with real-life stories of supernatural events. My contribution, an eight-page story illustrated by Sires Jan Black, titled “I Ain’t Superstitious” is about a ghostly experience I had in New Orleans that I revealed to the public for the first time in this book. If you like scary stories, be sure to come get this collection from me at a convention or to order it through the above-linked website!
- UNLAWFUL GOOD is a crime-based anthology assembled by Heather Antos, who, since putting this book project together, is now an Assistant Editor at Marvel Comics! My story in this volume, titled “Kingmakers” is special to me not only because it was illustrated by my frequent collaborator Seth Damoose and colored by TARA NORMAL creator and friend Howie Noel, but also because it allowed me the opportunity to revisit one of my favorite minor characters from NIGHTMARE WORLD and shine the spotlight on him a bit. Come see me at a show — or contact Heather via Twitter — if you’d like to get a copy of this book before they’re all gone! There’s even a limited edition variant cover and hardcopy version of this book out there, too, for those of you who are into that sort of thing…
- I’m also (and a little saddened) to report that Big Dog Ink‘s THE LEGEND OF OZ: THE WICKED WEST Volume 4 (which collects my four-issue story-arc about the origin of the flying monkeys) and Image Comics‘ DIA DE LOS MUERTOS (Riley Rossmo’s amazing themed anthology that featured my story “Te Vas Angel Mios”) are both now completely our of print and sold-out at the distributor level. If you want a copy of either book, get one online as soon as you can or see if you can get one at a convention somewhere, as neither book is scheduled to go back to print in the immediate future.
- Furthermore, the first printing of TALES OF MR. RHEE Volume 1: “Procreation (of the Wicked)” is now sold-out, although I’m happy to report that Devil’s Due is going back to press with a second printing, complete with a new cover that is set to debut at Special Edition: New York Comic Con!
TOURING DATES ADDED!
Several new dates have been added to the “Signings and Appearances” tab here on the site to reflect some recently added shows, including Special Edition: New York Comic Con, where I’m ecstatic to announce I’ll be doing my first ever signing of TALES OF MR. RHEE Volume 1: “Procreation (of the Wicked)” with series artist Joshua Ross! Josh will be joining me at the show on SATURDAY, JUNE 6TH, so if you’d like to see us both together and get a copy of the book signed (remember how I mentioned TALES OF MR. RHEE: “Procreation (of the Wicked)” is now getting a second printing that will be debuting at the show?) plan accordingly!
As we wrap-up production on the TALES OF MR. RHEE: “Karmageddon” TPB and HC collections, it should come as no surprise that we’re also already simultaneously working on TALES OF MR. RHEE Volume 3, a five-issue mini-series in which each issue will be a stand-alone story (each part of a larger whole) illustrated by a different artist. While it’s still a tiny bit too soon for me to announce who those five artists are, here’s a teaser image to hold you all over until the next update:
So… that’s where things are at, my friends. As always, thanks for checking in, and I most sincerely look forward to seeing many of you on the road soon.
But not in July. I plan on taking most of July off, with the exception of an in-store signing appearance or two to celebrate the release of TALES OF MR. RHEE Volume 2: “Karmageddon”, that is.
Let’s plan on another update by then, eh?
Your friend in comics,